So here are six worst Thanksgiving foods that you should make sure that your dogs do not eat off the ground or get from your family members:
- Turkey bones - Contrary to popular belief, turkey bones are actually unsafe for dogs to chew on. They are a choking hazard and are hard to digest for your mutts.
- Raw or uncooked turkey meat - With food that is not cooked all the way through, turkey meat can lead to salmonella poisoning not just for your dogs but for humans as well.
- Turkey skin and gravy - Even though they may taste super delicious, turkey skin is extremely hard for your mutts to digest (and for you as well), and the gravy contains just too much fatty acids which can be terrible for the benefit of your dogs.
- Mushrooms/onions/garlic - These vegetables can cause multiple problems for your mutts. They can damage their internal organs by destroying their red blood cells, and the onions and garlic have sulfides which are poisonous to dogs.
- Nutmeg - Found in most desserts, nutmeg is unhealthy for your dogs because it has a mild hallucinogenic effect which can cause problems like seizures, tremors, or central nervous system issues.
- Cookie dough or cake batter - Any type of raw dough can create unwanted healthy problems for your mutts. This includes again salmonella poisoning, and if your dogs eat too much of raw dough, their body heat can cause the dough to rise inside their stomachs creating minor to major digestive issues.